We’ve talked about human trafficking throughout this section. Here we connect you with real cases, real facts and YouTube clips/docs on human trafficking on this page. Knowledge is power! Educating our friends and ourselves is the first step to ending trafficking!
Interesting Facts About Human Trafficking – Did you know…..
- Human trafficking is the 2nd largest organized-crime worldwide.
- In Canada, over 93% of people being trafficked are Canadian women around 13 years old.
- Indigenous women and children make up 3-5% of the Canadian population, but make up over half of the population of trafficked persons.
- There are a lot of reasons why people who are being trafficked do not report. They might feel hopeless, afraid, ashamed, numbed from drugs or alcohol, or feel attached to their trafficker
- Traffickers take away ID like passports and driver licenses, and use sexual abuse, threats, intimidation, and physical violence to further control their victims/survivors but…….
Young girls and women resist by:
- Being a peer support worker who knows what it’s like because they have been there.
- Finding a counsellor who gets it!
- Reaching out for support.
- Learning about the myths and facts on human trafficking.
Read more about surviving trafficking with Jade’s story.
News Flash- This just in…….
There are a number of news reports and articles that talk about human trafficking. Here are a few examples:
- CBC report – Human Trafficking Conviction in Calgary in Amanda McGee Case
- 43 charges laid in Toronto human trafficking case
- Sex trafficking cased hard to provide as victims…..
- 9 charged another sought in Canada-wide human trafficking ring
- Police agree statistics fail to paint an accurate picture
Watch These Real Stories on You Tube about Human Trafficking
Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb3os7i9gB4
Retrieved from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpnxZtWJKs8
Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4IkP8BNtI.
We are learning more and more about trafficking everyday. Read what makes people vulnerable to human trafficking to see what kind of people are most targeted when it comes to human trafficking.